The website uses functional cookies and analytical cookies. These cookies are required to ensure that the website works properly, and are therefore always placed.
We also use advertising cookies and other cookies. If you click on ‘Accept’ in the cookie banner, we will also place these cookies.
Changing your cookie preferences
If you clicked on ‘Accept’ in the cookie banner to accept all cookies but later change your mind, or if you clicked on ‘No, thank you’, but later decide that you would like to accept all cookies after all, just click on the black button to change your preference.
The grey button relates to your previous choice, and therefore cannot be clicked. In case you did not select one of the options in the cookie banner, the default setting is no cookies (No, thank you).
By clicking on ‘Accept’, you are giving permission for all cookies to be placed on this website.
Types of cookies
We use the following cookies on our website:
- Functional cookies: cookies that ensure that the website works properly.
- Analytical cookies: cookies that record how the website is used. We use these statistics to help us improve the website.
- Tracking cookies (advertising cookies): cookies that allow advertisements to be displayed, based on how you use the internet. The aim is to show you the correct advertisements that are the most relevant to you.
- Other cookies: cookies that do not fit into any of the previous categories. If you accept these cookies, how you use the internet can be monitored by other networks or third parties, such as YouTube (Google), BlueConic and ISSUU.
You will be giving permission for cookies to be used on the following websites:
- vangoghmuseum.nl and vangoghmuseum.com
- tickets.vangoghmuseum.nl and tickets.vangoghmuseum.com
Read on for more detailed information about the various types of cookies.
Some cookies are vital to ensure that the website works properly. Without them, (parts of) the website will not function as intended. Permission is not required to place functional cookies, and it is therefore not possible to block them.
The Van Gogh Museum uses analytical cookies from Google Analytics. These cookies allow us to record web statistics. The statistics offer us insight into matters including:
- How many people visit the website;
- The pages they visit;
- How long they spend on the website;
- From which page they arrive on the website;
- The browser, device and screen resolution they are using.
We use the results to help improve the website. The data cannot be traced back to individual visitors.
We have taken the following measures to protect your privacy:
- We have signed a data processing agreement with Google.
- We have turned off the ‘share data with Google’ option.
- Google Analytics cookies are not used in combination with other Google services.
- The last three numbers of your IP address have been deleted, meaning it is anonymised.
Google Analytics places the following cookies:
_ga, _gat, _gid
These cookies are stored for a maximum of 14 months.
Advertising or tracking cookies
We also use advertising cookies on our websites. These cookies offer us insight into matters including:
- Which advertisements you have already seen, to help avoid showing you the same advertisement repeatedly;
- How many times an advertisement has been clicked on.
We work with media agencies to place advertisements on other websites and to gauge how effective these advertisements are. If you do not accept these cookies, you will still be able to view advertisements from the Van Gogh Museum. However, the advertisements you see will not be tailored to your interests or internet user behaviour.
The advertising cookies placed include:
- FR: cookie to help show you relevant advertisements on Facebook. This cookie is stored for a maximum of 2 years.
- DSID, IDE: cookies from Doubleclick.net, to show advertisements based on your previous visits to the website. These cookies are stored for a maximum of 1 year.
- ANID, 1P_JAR, DV: cookies used by Google to show advertisements on Google websites based on your recent search history.
- MUID and MUIDB: cookies used by search engine Bing (Microsoft) to show advertisements.
You can use one of the following websites to indicate the companies from which you no longer want to receive advertising cookies:
The Van Gogh Museum website features videos from platforms such as YouTube and forms by Wufoo. We also use embedded content from e.g. Google Maps and ISSUU to publish our annual report.
These images, videos or content are stored on third-party servers, but are displayed on our website. These third parties can place cookies when this content is played or used. We also use Visual Website Optimizer to help us test various versions of web pages.
In order to add forms to the website, we use the services of Wufoo. Wufoo can place various cookies to ensure that the forms work properly. We cannot influence which cookies Wufoo places. Wufoo never uses tracking or advertising cookies in its forms. Therefore we will show these forms on our website. Read about the cookies Wufoo uses on their website.
When we feature YouTube videos on our website, we add a nocookie code. This is so that you can watch the video without being tracked for advertisement or remarketing purposes. Please note: this no-cookies setting may be overwritten if you are logged into your Google account when visiting websites (we cannot influence this).
A/B testing To help us gauge whether changes we make to the website are worthwhile, we use the Visual Website Optimizer. This allows us to show some visitors to our website a different version of the web page to others. This process is anonymous. We use the results of this testing to help us improve our web pages.
Visual Website Optimizer uses this cookie: vwouuid_v2. The cookie creates a unique ID for each visitor to enable visitor segmentation. Individuals cannot be traced using the cookie and no personal data is stored. The cookie itself is stored for a maximum of 1 year.
BlueConic is used to analyse user behavior on our website in order to offer you the best possible experience. BlueConic uses this cookie: BCSessionID, duration: 1 year.
ISSUU We use ISSUU to publish our Annual Report and other browsable publications on the website. A summary of the cookies that ISSUU could place is available on the ISSUU website.
Blocking or deleting cookies in your browser
Most internet browsers allow you to block cookies. How you block cookies varies per browser. After visiting the website, you can choose to delete the cookies from your computer. How you delete cookies also varies per browser.
Visit the websites of the following browsers for more information:
Should you come across cookies on this website that are not mentioned above, please contact us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you can contact the administrators of the website in question. Ask which cookies they place, why they place them, how long the cookie(s) is/are stored for and how they safeguard your privacy.